Thanks to Charlie Horse 47 and Killdumpster for their sponsorship of this post, via the magic of Patreon.
***
![]() |
| Image by OpenClipart-Vectors from Pixabay |
You may be about to hit a nightmarish bend in the road.
A cat may have just leapt out in front of your tank when you're about to invade a small country.
Or you may have just been about to write a blog post.
One of those things has just happened to me.
And it didn't involve cats.
There I was, all set to launch myself into reviewing that issue of Adventure Comics where the Spectre inflicts a giant squid upon a 1970s Nazi, when I suddenly realised, I don't think I've ever asked you what your favourite Marvel movies are.
Clearly, this is an oversight I must correct.
And I am.
Of course, there are two possible definitions of the phrase, "Marvel movie."
One could refer to films made by Marvel Studios. The other involves films that are based on Marvel Comics strips, regardless of the actual studio behind the film.
For the purposes of this post, I'm including anything at all that features a Marvel character. Granted, by that token, Howard the Duck is eligible for inclusion in this debate. And, if you wish to put Howard forward, that is within your fundamental rights as a commentator.
I, however, shall not be putting Howard forward.
First off, I shall say that, while I've not minded the Marvel Studios ventures, none of them has held any great emotional resonance for me. Ultimately, I think I tend to find them a little too glib to ever be truly gripped by them.
Also, I've not actually seen them all, yet.
Of the Marvel Studios ones I have seen, Captain America: The Winter Soldier has probably been my favorite, thanks to its sense of momentum and conflict.
And, the non-Marvel Studios films?
Two leap to mind.
One is a golden oldie now.
That's Spider-Man 2. The one with Alfred Molina as Doc Ock. Not the one with Jamie Foxx as Electro.
Possibly tainted by memories of Spider-Man 3, the Tobey Maguire films seem to have gone heavily out of favour in recent times but I do feel Spider-Man 2 is a masterclass in how to handle a super-hero movie and its themes.
My other favourite is Deadpool 2.
The first Deadpool was fine but little of it has managed to lodge in my memory. The sequel, though, is strangely endearing, for such a determinedly cynical film and has a surprising level of ambition to its story-telling.
Also, the catastrophic parachute jump is easily my favourite sequence in any super-hero movie.
It also mocks the idiotic convention of super-heroes jumping from great heights and landing on their knees.
What more could you want from a film?
Probably plenty but only you can tell me what that plenty is. So, if you have favourite Marvel movies, feel free to name them in the comments section below.


0 Yorumlar